2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp ginger powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup finely chopped crystalized ginger
1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temp
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
1/4 cup full flavor molasses (dark)
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the frst six ingredients. Stir in crystalized ginger.
2. Beat butter and brown sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg and molasses and beat until blended. Add flour mixture and stir until just combined. Cover bowl and chill dough for 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease cookie sheet with oil or butter.
4. Pour turbinado sugar into a small bowl. Roll dough into 1 inch balls. Dip top of ball into sugar and place on cookie sheet, 2 inches apart.
5. Bake for 11-12 minutes or until top looks cracked but is still soft to the touch. Leave on cookie sheet for 1 minute, then transfer to wire rack to finish cooling.
Makes 3 dozen.